WATSCON is a PHOENICS module developed to assess the performance of a range of industry-standard water-cooled steam condensers.
Instead of solving the flow around each of the cooling tubes explicitly, WATSCON uses a space-averaged approach to achieve results quickly and efficiently, enabling users to perform multiple design or environmental variations.
Its specialised interface is intuitive and easy to use and the use of immersed boundary methods means meshing any scenario takes seconds. It also has multiple features that make it ideal for a wide range of applications:
- Allowance for a two-pass systems
- Various water coolant mixtures for varying applications and operational environments
- Choice of correlations for parameters such as inundation factor and two-phase multiplier
- Provision of sensitivity factors applied to calculate the overall heat-transfer coefficient
- Clear and concise results output, providing a comprehensive overview of the condenser performance