TITLE : IN-LINE WIND TURBINES
BY : S Zhubrin - CHAM-MEI
DATE: September 1995
PHOENICS VERSION: 1.4 Shareware
- This case studies the influence of widely-spaced trees on the
wake fields generated by two on-line wind turbines located on
the complex terrain of Valaam Island, in Ladoga Lake in
- The standard K-E model is modified to take account of plant
airflow interactions, resulting in momentum sinks. The
corresponding GROUND codings are made by way of PLANT.
Further details of PLANT:
- PLANT is a PHOENICS add-on which allows users to change
the coding within certain GROUND groups and sections using
PIL instructions in the Q1 file.
- PLANT can include GROUND coding for non-linear property
correlations, interphase transport features, initial fields,
non-linear source laws and output control calculations.
- PLANT is intended for use by those with a need to include
GROUND routines but who either lack the necessary FORTRAN
knowledge or who wish to same time by placing the necessary
commands in the Q1 file
- PLANT adds the required coding into GROUND and recompiles
the EARTH executable before starting the run.
- PLANT is included in PHOENICS 1.4 Shareware.
Pictures are as follows:
3. Velocity field
4. Streamwise velocity contours
5. Turbulence energy contours
Full details of this work can be found in:
"Practical evalution of turbulence models applied to
on-line wind turbines on a complex terrain",
S.Zhubrin et al.
presented at International Seminar of AirFlows on Complex
Terrain, University of Karlsruhe, February 1995